Fudge is purely an American treat, and it’s fun and easy to make. Fudge is a delicious and savory dish made from rich ingredients. Its preparation doesn’t require a lot of effort and so many resources. Rather a handful of vigilance is enough to prepare the silkiest fudge besides the ingredients.
- 1 Which Saucepan is Ideal for Making Fudge?
- 2 Factors to Consider
- 3 What is fudge?
- 4 How to Make fudge at home?-Best Fudge Recipe
- 5 Top 06 Saucepans for Making Fudge or Candy
- 6 1-Farberware 50003 Classic Stainless Steel Saucepan with Lid, 3 Quart, Silver
- 7 2-Stone & Beam Fudge Making Saucepan with Lid, Hard-Anodized Non-Stick Aluminum, 4-Quart,
- 8 3-Ecolution Artistry Non-Stick Dishwasher Safe Saucepan, Scratch Resistant with Cool Touch Handles, 2 qt, Black
- 9 4-Circulon Genesis Hard-Anodized Nonstick Saucepan with Straining and Lid, 3 Quart, Black
- 10 5-AVACRAFT Stainless Steel Multipurpose Saucepan with Glass Lid, Strainer Lid, Ergonomic Handle with Lid (Tri-Ply Capsule Bottom) 1.5 Quart
- 11 6-Duxtop Whole-Clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Saucepan with Lid, Kitchen Induction Cookware, 3 Quart
- 12 Frequently Asked Questions
- 13 1-How long should you boil fudge?
- 14 2-How do you know when Fudge is ready?
- 15 3-How do you harden fudge?
- 16 4-What ingredient makes fudge hard?
- 17 Fudge Making at Home (Video)
- 18 Conclusion:
Which Saucepan is Ideal for Making Fudge?
Every pan with considerable size can be used to make a batch of fudge, but what features are super ideal for preparing velvety and creamy fudge like a professional? Yes! After research I found, a saucepan with heavy gauge base and straight sides is the best option for submerging and then melting fudge. For even heat distribution, heavy-gauge base like stainless steel or anodized aluminium is a perfect choice.
However, the right tools play an essential role in making creamy and smooth fudge. And saucepans hit the top of the list in this regard. The best saucepan for making fudge is cookware that makes your job a breeze. So always use a pan with a heavy base that guarantees even heat distribution.
Factors to Consider
So, be much focused while buying a saucepan and consider the following points, and also it is the perfect answer to your question what is the secret to making creamy fudge?
• The bottom of the saucepan should be heavy
• Even heat distribution is the prime requirement to make fudge that melts in the mouth. So, choose the material that develops no hot spots.
• The sides of the saucepan must be straight and high.
As you have got so many hints now. So, it has become easy to choose the right kind of saucepan to make a batch of fudge or candy. But for more convenience, we have shortlisted a few pans to facilitate your task. Just go through the below options and select the right one for your needs.
|Saucepan Model||Preview||Capacity||Key Feature||Check Latest Price|
|Farberware 50003 Classic||3-Quart||Dishwasher Safe/Oven Safe||Click For Latest Price|
|Saucepan by Stone&Beam||4-Quart||PTFE Non-Stick||Click for Latest Deals|
|Ecolution Artistry Saucepan||2-Quart||Non-Stick with Tempered Glass Lid||Click for Latest Price|
|Circulon Genesis 83592||3-Quart||Longest nonstick coating/Strainer Lid||Click for Latest Price|
|AVACRAFT Stainless Steel Saucepan||1.5 Quart||Tri-Ply Capsule Bottom||Click for Latest Deals|
|Duxtop Whole-Clad Saucepan||3-Quart||Perfect for All Cooktops||Click for Latest Deals|
What is fudge?
Fudge is cooked chocolate and some other soft eatable. It is flexible and resilient; therefore, you can also bend it—perfect fudge results from the combination of butter, sugar, chocolate, and condensed milk majorly. However, you can use cream or evaporated milk in place of condensed milk. The dense yet flexible texture depends upon the condensed milk. Besides these basic ingredients, the addition of chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and butterscotch makes it more delicious.
How to Make fudge at home?-Best Fudge Recipe
Making a perfect batch of fudge at home is quite easy because of very few ingredients and simple a procedure. But it can be a total failure if the ingredients lack quality. So make sure that the quality of the ingredients is up to the mark.
If you have a question in mind” Is fudge hard to make?”. Here I am going to describe how easy is to make delicious fudge at home?
The recipe includes only four ingredients that are:
- condensed milk
- vanilla extract
We recommend you to go for chocolate bars instead of chocolate chips
- Melt chocolate in condensed milk.
- Add a pinch of salt to the mixture.
- Stir continuously.
- Turn off the flame.
- Add some vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture in a dish to rest for the final settings.
- We recommend you keep on stirring for 2-3 minutes after transferring the dough into a bowl. This will help you avail of the pure silky and creamy texture.
- The fudge will set in an hour.
- Cut the fudge into small blocks.
Make sure that you heat the mixture to the required period and till the ideal consistency. Otherwise, the fudge will not set up.
Top 06 Saucepans for Making Fudge or Candy
Farberware 50003 saucepan is a blend of the latest technology with a stylish capsule design base. The mirror-finished stainless steel layer over thick aluminum adds glitter to gold.
The core of the full cap base is thick aluminum, wrapped in stainless steel. So, the saucepan heats quite rapidly and evenly. It doesn’t corrode or discolor also. Moreover, the handle is very comfortable to grip.
Another noticeable point is the design and functionality of the lid, also ideal. The lid is of stainless steel and comprises a rolled bell shape rim. Moreover, the knob on the lid is also trendy. Most importantly, the lid fits tightly over the saucepan.
Besides an excellent construction, the saucepan is 3qt and serves with a nice space to make a batch of fudge. Also, the pot and its phenolic handles are oven safe up to 350 degrees F.
By the end, don’t waste your time in scrubbing the pan manually because Farberware saucepan is dishwasher safe. Just dump in the dishwasher and get ready to enjoy the creamiest and silkiest fudge.
Farberware is in the industry for over a century and stands behind their cookware. They have offered a lifetime warranty with the saucepan. So, opting for this will prevent you from future frustration.
Here is another best saucepan for making candy marketed by Stone & Beam. This nonstick pan is not a safe dishwasher pot. But it is very easy to wash with hand. Because the interior is nonstick, therefore the dense fudge releases easily and leaves no residue behind.
The saucepan comprises hard-anodized aluminum as the core material. So, the pot is very durable and heats evenly. Moreover, you can cover the saucepan with a glass lid that helps you to simmer the fudge. The lid not only helps in simmering, but also the holes are there for proper venting.
If you consider the handle, you’ll feel that it shapes promotes a tighter secure grip. Its length is perfect also and will not heat.
In short, this 4qt saucepan is equally useful for a novice and a professional. Its sufficient space and durability make it a worthwhile purchase.
3-Ecolution Artistry Non-Stick Dishwasher Safe Saucepan, Scratch Resistant with Cool Touch Handles, 2 qt, Black
It is another top-notch dishwasher safe saucepan proudly offered by Ecolution. Ecolution Artistry non-stick pan is made up of heavy gauge aluminum with a grooved base. So the pan heats evenly.
Most importantly, the inner is coated with a water-based coating. This coating is the ecologically advanced form of nonstick. With a nonstick inner, the food doesn’t need oil to cook food. Also, dense candy doesn’t stick at the same time.
Besides a healthier way to cook fudge at home, the nonstick plays an important role in serving with easy cleanup. That is because it releases food effortlessly and leaves no hard residues to clean. Also, the saucepan is dishwasher safe.
The riveted silicone handle stays cool to touch. It serves a tighter, secure, and comfortable grip ensuring safety. Besides this, the saucepan comes with a beautiful looking steam vented glass lid, although the lid is not required during the fudge making process.
In short, each feature of this 2qt pot is durable and easy to use. Meanwhile, the performance, efficiency, and productivity are appealing hallmarks. So, don’t miss the chance to grab the product because it’s very hot in demand.
Now let’s move to the Circulon Genesis saucepan review guide. Heavy-duty hard-anodized aluminum makes it durable enough. The base of this saucepan ensures fast and even heat distribution. In short, the Circulon Genesis saucepan is sturdy, and long-lasting durability can serve you for a long time.
Similarly, the interior is also matchless. It comprises a TOTAL nonstick system with raised circles. The nonstick technology of this durable saucepan serves you ten times longer than others in the market. Moreover, the nonstick is excellent as it is stain, chip, corrosion, and scratch-resistant. It also releases sticky fudge effortlessly.
The advanced nonstick technology makes it a super versatile saucepan for making creamy candy or chocolaty fudge.
Now just look at the glass lid! It is shatter-resistant, and the rim is quite deep. Another super aspect is the straining functionality; the rim also features straining holes.
Let’s not forget to mention the beauty of the handle. So, it is stainless steel and double riveted. Moreover, it is designed in a way to promote a comfortable grip in fudge making.
Lastly, this 3qt generous capacity Circulon Genesis pan is a pretty good quantity of fudge to serve the whole family. Also, this saucepan is very easy to clean because of no stuck residues. The pour spout also adds glitter to gold.
5-AVACRAFT Stainless Steel Multipurpose Saucepan with Glass Lid, Strainer Lid, Ergonomic Handle with Lid (Tri-Ply Capsule Bottom) 1.5 Quart
Backed with a lifetime warranty, this multipurpose saucepan for making fudge or soft candy is a nice addition to the list. It is made up of tri-ply stainless steel capsule bottom with pure aluminum. As a result, the saucepan heats the mixture of condensed milk and chocolate evenly. However, you can also boil pasta, rice, and vegetables in this 1.5qt pot.
The exterior of Avacraft saucepan features a mirror finish look while the interior is a matte finish. Moreover, the inner is marked with easy to read measurement marks also.
The saucepan includes a glass lid with straining holes and a silicon handle. Therefore straining boiled pasta is very easy, which is beyond usage other than fudge. Also, the pour spouts are available on both sides of the pan rim.
The handle is made of stainless steel and ergonomic in design. It also includes a passage for airflow. That’s why it’s cool to touch and comfortable to grip.
You can use the saucepan on all kinds of cooktops, including induction. After you pour the fudge material in the pan to set, just put the saucepan in the dishwasher. So, cleaning is a snap.
To sum up, this saucepan is very durable and can last for long because it is made up of 18/10 food-grade stainless steel. This steel quality is stain, rust, corrosion, and crack-resistant.
This saucepan with 3qt capacity by duxtop is not only the best for making fudge, but you can use it to make soft candy, boil milk, vegetables, and pasta. The Duxtop pan is made from whole-clad tri-ply stainless steel. Therefore it heats evenly and creates no hot spots.
It comes with a loop shape stainless steel handle for easy pouring and handling. Also, the handle of Duxtop saucepan is double-riveted for secure handling. Moreover, the handle remains cool during fudge making process ensuring a comfortable grip.
The sides of the pan are straight and help with drip-free pouring. Besides, the lid is important in its own way. It helps in producing more delicious fudge or soft creamy candy by retaining heat and moisture.
Also, the pan is perfectly suitable for halogens, electric, gas, and induction cooktops. Most importantly, it’s oven safe up to 500 degrees F.
The Duxtop Whole-Clad saucepan is dishwasher safe, so don’t worry about scrubbing it. You can also keep leftovers in it because it is freezer-safe. The only drawback is that the manufacturer offers a limited time warranty.
Frequently Asked Questions
1-How long should you boil fudge?
A delicious chocolaty fudge results when a portion of the liquid evaporates and concentrates the sugar behind. As the evaporation of water means an increase in the temperature of the cream mixture. So, you need to be very careful about the cooking temperature of the fudge. Because if the limit exceeds and you keep on boiling the mixture the results will not be smooth and silky.
You should boil the fudge mixture until enough water remains behind in the syrup. That makes the fudge neither too soft nor hard. Therefore, confectionary experts claim 114-115 °C (237 to 239 °F) as the suitable cooking temperature of fudge. So, after adding and incorporating the condensed milk, you should insert a candy thermometer. As a result, you’ll precisely get to know when the temperature of the mixture will reach the recommended limit. Lastly, remove the pan from the heat source.
2-How do you know when Fudge is ready?
Boiling the material till 237 to 239 °F results in the creamiest and appetizing fudge. You can measure the temperature with a candy thermometer. However, if you don’t have a probe or thermometer, you can perform a ‘cold water test’. It helps you to check whether the fudge is ready or not. Here you go with a step by step procedure:
- Add a little amount of hot mixture in a glass filled with cold water.
- If it drops to the bottom of the glass and turns into a ball. It is a hint that your fudge is ready.
- Take the ball out of the water for a consistency check-up with fingers.
- If the ball is soft and flattens easily upon pressing, it means the fudge is ready
- However, if the ball is hard and doesn’t flatten easily upon pressing, it means your fudge is overcooked.
- Besides, the conversion of hot mixture into threads indicates that the fudge is undercooked. The syrup will not turn into a ball but will dissolve if the fudge is not ready yet.
- Keep on testing until the syrup forms into a softball.
3-How do you harden fudge?
Your fudge is not hardening even after spending several hours in the refrigerator? Don’t panic and don’t waste the entire batter. Because where there is a will, there is a go. The mistake behind the scenario is that you didn’t cook the mixture until the recommended temperature. However, you can definitely turn the soft sticky mixture into perfectly creamiest fudge by performing a back gear. So follow the steps below and enjoy the deal:
- Transfer the gummy mixture into a large saucepan.
- Add almost one and a half cups of water to it.
- Start to stir over a low flame and keep on stirring until both incorporate into each other.
- Adding water may dilute the flavor. So, taste the mixture and add any required ingredient.
- Raise the flame to medium temperature and bring the mixture to boil.
- Now make sure that you cook the fudge till 237 to 239 °F this time. Check either your fudge is ready or not through a cold water test or through a functional candy thermometer.
- Remove the pan from heat and perform the instructions regarding cooling and beating. We wish you good luck for divinely textured fudge this time.
4-What ingredient makes fudge hard?
1. Butter is a nice ingredient to harden the fudge. It is preferable over margarine because the latter contains high water content.
2. Using marshmallow based ingredients is a nice way to sweeten the fudge. Meanwhile, these ingredients such as marshmallow cream or marshmallow fluff play an important role in hardening the fudge.
3. Regular milk curdles at high temperatures and fails to deliver the perfect fudge texture. So, better to go for cream or evaporated milk to enjoy stable yet flexible fudge
Fudge Making at Home (Video)
Besides the best saucepan for making fudge, you also need a candy thermometer to get awesome results. Also, make sure that your candy thermometer is not malfunctioning. Otherwise, you’ll end up with an under or overcooked fudge. The cold water test is a nice alternative to candy thermometer but the latter option adds ease to your experience.